Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Day 25

In horse racing, the quarter pole marks the spot 1/4 into a mile long race. Today (Day 25) is my quarter pole. Time for a little analysis on progress so far.

If you remember our initial goals, we said we'd use weight as a proxy for fitness, and hoped to reduce one while we increased the other (provided we didn't get the two mixed up). Well, it looks like we're right on track. As the scale shows the weight coming down, it's also clear to me that my fitness level is improving. My hikes up the stairs are still a journey, but I seem to get to higher floors before the puffing and panting starts. Yesterday after lunch, I climbed the stairs to my office only to have Caroline send me back down to the mail room on the ground floor. You can't imagine how [insert sarcastic tone of voice here] pleased I was when I got there only to find the package was actually for her! Back up the stairs I went. The good news, is that I can do it now, and I probably would have died a few weeks ago.

The food part is going okay as well. We still have lots of Halloween candies and chocolates in the house, and I haven't been tempted to eat any. It's simply not worth the calories. I know I can treat myself once in a while, but it's nice to know I don't have to. The most noticeable change for me is that I seem to get full quicker, or at least I'm conscious of it, and am willing to stop eating when that happens. This is a good sign that change is taking place. Even after the 100 days, I will need to continue this technique.

Another milestone happened today. I got tired of constantly pulling up my pants, as they seemed to be sliding dangerously low at times. So, I made that transition to a new hole in my belt. This is a fairly new belt, and I'd never used that hole before. I hope to get at least one more hole tighter before this is over.

And the numbers at the quarter pole are.....[drum roll please]....

Day 25
Current Weight: 195
Weight Lost To Date: 11

So, 11 pounds down and 20 to go. That sounds about right since I know the rest of the journey gets tougher and tougher. I'm pleased to see the numbers consistently coming down, so I'm not going to change anything at this point.

This is a marathon, not a sprint, but at the 25 day mark, the race is still mine to win.

Don

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually... if I had consciously got Don to do another lap of the stairs knowing full well it was purely for the fitness benefits it would provide him, I'd have been quite pleased with myself :-) In reality, Don is just happier to take the stairs these days and needed no encouragement on this occasion. This is indeed progress! :-)

Anonymous said...

Well now that you have lost 11 lbs. on the 11th of the month. Does that mean you will have lost 20 lbs. on the 20th - don't you wish. Have you thought of getting bracers to hold your pants up instead using a belt? You really are doing a great job. If it works for you, would it work for me too?

Anonymous said...

So, I'm still trying to figure out why you measure everything in Imperial units when you live in a metric country? Go figure...

Congratulations on the great progress. I have a new extreme sport - Christmas Shopping. Here is how you do it. Go the mall on a Sunday when everyone else is there too. Dodging between the slow pokes is good for agility and speed. Then, buy heavy items and load up shopping bags in each hand and continue to shop ensuring that you walk back and forth aimlessly looking for the perfect ant farm! The combination weight training and cardio does wonders for your fitness.

Now, when you get hungry head up to the food court and seat yourself near an older man who appears to be quietly shoveling his lunch down the hatch until he takes his false teeth out and lays them on a napkin right in front of you, whips out his glue and proceeds to re-seat them in his mouth. If the shoveling did not put you off your lunch completely, guaranteed the teeth will do the trick. (This really happened!)

Happy slimming!
BC

Anonymous said...

Losing weight is really difficult.
Lose weight this 2014 safely

Anonymous said...


I like this blog post.

Burn your calories today.