Saturday, December 29, 2007

Day 43

There's a big difference between "tastes good" and "tastes good enough". I think that's where many people encounter problems in the post-diet period. It's very rare to find anything "fat free" or "calorie reduced" that is as tasty as the original version (although I find diet pop an exception). When given the choice of eating something purely for the flavour, most people would go with the full calorie version every time. Everything's different when dieting. When you're dieting, you are sooooo happy to have something even remotely tasty that you'll gladly take the low cal version rather than do without. A piece of fat-free cheese is still cheese, so it will do. When that magic time comes that you've graduated from 'having to eat the low cal stuff' to 'having the option to choose either low cal or high flavour yet more fattening stuff', try and remember those fat days when you wondered why there was a kind of exploding sound every time you unbuttoned your jeans, and choose the low cal option at least some of the time.

Day 43
Current Weight: 190
Weight Lost To Date: 16

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm clearly on the brink of a new milestone.... the 180-somethings! I'm also on the brink of a much more exciting milestone....the "Have you lost weight?" comments! BC said it in a recent comment on this blog. My wife says it when she hugs me. It's starting to show, and it feels GREAT! The best form of encouragement is positive reinforcement, so when it comes genuinely, it puts fuel in the tank for the next stretch. Thanks to my support team!

Feeling a bit under-exercised during the holiday season, I was back on the bike this morning and set a new PB (that's hip talk for "Personal Best". You're welcome.) I've never been an outdoor biking kind of person, but riding the stationary bike in front of the television seems to work wonders for me. I can get lost in the program while the miles roll by, or I can close my eyes and gun it during the commercials without fear of hitting a wayward skateboarder or the back bumper of a not-gunning-it-as-fast-as-me Ferrari. And best of all, when I get too tired to continue, I'm already home!

Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Don! You are doing great through the festive (aka "Eat and drink irresponsibly") season... A true sign of a man with a mission. At this rate you will have to wear a name tag so that I know who you are when I next see you.

Glad to hear that the exercise bike is working out. Being able to watch the TV at the same time is definitely a good way of fooling yourself into not noticing the time that you spend there. I read a book when I use mine as I find the whole thing rather mind numbingly boring.

You will be happy to know that I shoveled all the decks myself (well, with a little help from my brother) last week! Mind you, it is snowing again. :-)

I tried out a new winter sport yesterday - snow shoeing. It is a lot of fun and does not require much skill which is perfect for me. I even managed to do the 180 degree spin in the air maneuver without face planting into the snow. You can rent the snow shoes at the information centre in Chelsea ($5/hour or $15/day) and there are loads of trails in the Gatineau Park that you can enjoy and commune with nature. Following your theory of cold burning more calories, this would work well as you are walking - often up pretty steep inclines - in the cold.

Happy dieting.
BC

Anonymous said...

You certainly are knocking them off l lb at a time. Difficult season to be doing it but I guess there isn't a bad season to look after ones health. You have done great to go down 2 jean sizes. All the snow shoveling to clear the skating rink would work off some fat but then muscle weighs more than fat and I'm sure you built up those muscles. Keep up the good work then none of us will have to go 'a huggin' and a chalkin' anymore.