Sunday, February 3, 2008

Day 79

It's hard to keep to a diet and exercise schedule during hectic times. It's easy to say "Cut me some slack, I'm too busy right now!". But we all know that busy is just the way life is. Life expands to fill the space, and when it does, we have no time left to twiddle our thumbs, so we say we're busy. I don't mean to sound deep, but I've noticed lately that I've had to counsciously think about my journey and make sure it gets the appropriate attention. The Christmas holidays were busy enough, but lately we've had family birthdays, kids sporting events, and major activities at work. Tomorrow I'll be heading across the country on a business trip. In a week, I'll be doing it again. How does diet and exercise have a chance when you can barely get the rest of your life in order?

For me, it requires a bit of planning, and a bit of re-prioritization. In the suitcase beside me is not only my work clothes, but some workout attire, some running shoes, and even some swim trunks. I'm planning to fit in some walking or swimming or working out at the hotel's weight room. At the very least, I could do a few situps in my room (maybe I should leave the TV remote on the TV). I'm sure I can spare the time to do some sort of exercise somehow. I've just got to do it. And you know, I'm actually looking forward to it as I've started to find exercise a good source of stress relief from the day's business.

Day 79
Current Weight: 180
Weight Lost To Date: 26

Getting closer. The 170's are just around the corner, and so is my home stretch. It's too early to sprint for the finish line, but I'm getting close enough I can smell it (at least I hope it's the finish line I smell. I took a shower this morning).

Speaking of sprinting....The other day I found myself sprinting up the stairs to my office. Don't ask me where I got this crazy idea, I just looked down and saw my feet bouncing up the stairs! It was almost as if walking wasn't satisfying my hunger for some exercise, so my legs took over and solved the problem. Hopefully a long cross-country flight, sitting stationary in my seat, will teach my legs a lesson, and they won't rebel against my body again. Although, it was kinda cool.

Don

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you first started this the 70's must have seemed so very far away but now you are knocking on that door with still many more days to complete the goal you set for yourself. Exercise is great but be sure you take some time for R & R too. That will not only help refresh your body but your mind as well. Hope you will be able to keep the Speedo in place now that you have lost some of your love handles.

Anonymous said...

There is that Speedo again! Why do I suddenly feel all nauseous. Nothing personal, it is just that Speedos and Spandex are in the same category - best worn behind closed solid doors.

We are going to have to start a collection for new pants for you soon as the ones you have are threatening to fall around your ankles. Now, whilst that would be amusing for those of us around you I am not sure how well it would be received in your current role. :-) If it does happen though, please make sure that I get to see the pics.

Congrats on hitting 180. It has such a good sound to it. Nice round number and so close to the goal.

Let me know how the hotel exercising goes as I always promise to try and do the same when I travel and it never happens. I have a bunch of travel coming up and I am dreading the impact on my fitness.

Onwards!
BC

Anonymous said...

So much for the concern about your trousers falling down in public, Don. You know what I am talking about! Good thing you had that new slim look. :-) I think they have you on video.
BC

Matthew Wilson said...

Keep holding on! You'll manage to lose weight, I'm sure!