Saturday, February 16, 2008

Day 92

I'm back! Yes, my two week travel-fest is finally over. I survived cancelled flights (don't ask, it's too painful), airplane food, business dinners, and lack of normal exercise. The operative word, is "survived". Actually, I was pretty pumped this week when the Customs Official looked at me....and then my passport....then me....then my passport, and said "You look very different from your picture." At first I was a little shocked, then I smiled and said "I've lost over 25 pounds recently." He smiled back and said "I can tell." YES! It was a nice way to begin the trip.

Figuring I would counter the potentially crazy travel diet with as much exercise as I could manage, I packed my workout clothes and planned to hit the hotel's fitness room. My previous hotel fitness room experience (open 24-hours, machines with personal TVs, apples, etc.) was to my absolute shock, entirely replicated again. I had no idea that there was some unwritten rule for hotels that said they must supply me with everything possible to remove travel as an excuse for not exercising. I was thrilled to learn that no matter how late I got back from my meetings, I could head to the fitness center for a little mind-numbing television, and some sweaty fat-burning exercise. I had several machines to choose from, and tended to move around a bit to give different muscles a chance to ache for a while. I even tried some Nautilus systems (gotta work on those pecs you know). I like the machines that display how many calories you burn as you use them, as it translates very nicely into pounds lost (3,500 calories = 1 pound). The apples were much appreciated, as they served to put nutrients back into my system, and I usually took an extra one to have for breakfast the following day.

There's no need for travel to be tougher on your diet and exercise routine than is absolutely necessary. I still have to skip the alcohol, the fatty desserts, and the constant snacking, but it's part of life, so just deal with it!

Day 92
Current Weight: 177.5
Weight Lost To Date: 28.5

I guess we can officially say were heading into the home stretch. With only 8 days to go, we're right on schedule, and I hope that being back at home base will give me better control of things. My family is giving me every opportunity to succeed, and I'm grateful for that. I'm also grateful for your kind words of encouragement. Let's get this thing accomplished!

Don

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only a few more days, a few less pounds, a few extra muscles, then what are your plans? I guess you can hardly wait to complete another of your goals - and I don't mean putting the puck into the net, which you do very well too. Guess you would be pleased to be able to tell the person who checked the photo on your passport at the airport that this is now the thinner you. Although now you haven't those chubby cheeks people just love to squeeze. Perhaps now you can get back to your old routine at home and shed those few pounds that are left. I congratulate you on having such a strong will to DO it !

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Don! Glad to see that you left a little of your self behind on the journey... Is that like lost luggage?

Homestretch - here you come. Why stop here? :-)

Good luck with the final 8 days and ignore that annoying anonymous poster (we both know who he is) who is trying to discourage you.

Cheers
BC

Anonymous said...

I envy your willpower! Can I tell about you on my website?

Carolina Ivey said...

Good article, you have given some really useful information and tips, thanks.. One should really think about eating healthy is this fast moving life. I also came across this article which points out some tips: Snacks Help you Lose Weight