Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to "100 Days To Fitness"! This blog is intended to map out my progress as I spend 100 days of diet and exercise in order to improve my health and overall fitness. (Really, it's just a public humiliation to ensure I don't cheat or chicken out!)

I'm not going to kid myself and tell you that I'll be the perfect dieter. I don't know enough about diet and nutrition to be an expert on the subject, so I'll make lots of dumb mistakes on my journey. But I'm going to plod along anyway.

The goal of 'health and fitness' is too fuzzy to attain, so I'm measuring my progress in the old fashioned way...with my bathroom scale. While weight isn't the perfect measure of fitness, I'm pretty convinced that if I drop a few pounds I'll feel better and be healthier than if I gained a few pounds.

A bit about my goals....

I'd like to be about 175lbs, so that translates into 31 pounds of weight loss (since I started at 206 and haven't forgotten my basic math skills). That should take me down a few inches on my waist as well, so that'll work. The blog is called "100 Days To Fitness" because I plan to reach my goal weight in 100 days. That's the tricky part! I don't know how long it will actually take me, but I figured if I said I would diet and exercise until I lost 31 pounds, it would take the pressure off of me and I might be a year or two (or three) before I finally made it or simply gave up. Besides, calling the blog "An Indeterminate Number Of Days To Fitness" just sounds dumb. 100 days is a good number and makes calculating percentages REALLY easy! :-)

Since weight will be my prime measurement, calorie intake will be a major focus. I'll update you on other things as well, like the sudden appearance of my toes when I look down. I won't be counting every calorie (I can't count that high!), but I'll certainly substitute low-cal snacks for my typical 'bucket of lard' munchies. Again, I know it's not the only or best method, but it's simple enough and there is a wonderful simplicity to the 'calories consumed - calories burned' methodology. Exercise will also sneak its way into the program, so be prepared for lengthy stories of how I set a new 'personal best' on the treadmill. The first such personal best will begin with me actually standing on one.

I'm sharing this journey with whoever wants to follow it ("Hi Mom!"). I'm not sure what point there would be in me writing all this stuff and not sharing it....I already know how I'm doing. Please feel free to post your comments, words of encouragement, low-cal recipes, or lottery winning numbers. I'll try and keep this blog active, so return often.

Wish me luck!

Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Don,
I love your style. Your entry had me cracking up, yet inspired at the same time. I just found my way here from your post at 3 Fat Chicks and I'm already digging your journey. You can certainly expect me to check back in regularly and I hope you don't mind if I blogroll you. :)

- Slim from Slenderized

Don Campbell said...

Hi Slim,
Welcome to my nightmare....I mean, my personal journey of health and well being! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your mark. Feel free to pass the word along. The more people I know are watching, the more insentive I have to keep up the discipline. Not that adding a few years to my life shouldn't be insentive enough, but I'll take all the help I can get.

Don

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your journey share with us. Honestly this remarkable article I have ever seen on fitness. Normally people avoid writing something about this kind of article. But you did and make it beautiful. I just found another article like this on fitness and weight loss.
https://healthysupplementpro.com/supplements-for-weight-loss/